Sunday, July 27, 2014

Corner Balancing

I spent some time to day with the help of Dave Kirk getting the corner balance of my car just right. 

Here is what we had at the beginning:
Total: 2382
LF: 642
RF: 596
LR: 572
RR: 573

Left: 1216  - 51.0 %
Rear: 1145 - 48 %
LF/RR: 1214  - 51.0 %
Right: 1169  - 49.1%

Below is what we ended up with.

Total: 2378
LF: 627
RF: 609
LR: 579
RR: 567

Left: 1206  - 50.7 %
Rear: 1142 - 48 %
LF/RR: 1198  - 50.0 %
Right: 1171  - 49.3%

All it took was raising the RR spring perch 1.5 turns.

It isn't a huge change but I am pretty happy we where able to get the LF/RR to right at 50%.  The LF and RF are also much closer which will help with making sure I am not locking up one tire or the other while braking hard.

At the next event we are going to take temperature measurements across the face of the tire to see if the camber is set at the optimal angle.

Next event is August 9th in Bozeman at The Commons.  ( Map)  This is our "index" event.  We try to setup the course exactly the same as last years and we can compare our times between the two to see how our modifications and driving skills have changes our times. I have not run a Bozeman event since last year. It will be interesting to see how I fair with all of the work that I have done to the car.

Here is a spreadsheet with the first two years times on it. (link) As you can see, almost everyone who ran in 2012 and 2013 improved their times. Some by a pretty significant amount.

4 comments:

  1. I'm guessing you were sitting in the car when weighed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. of course, sadly it's heavier then I would like it to be. but it would require removing the roll bar and the tow hitch. for the quickest gains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last summer I had mine down to 2110 lbs without me in it. After the MR2 roll I decided to put the rollbar, harness bar, and harness back in. I haven't weighed it since, but guessing it's somewhere around 2200 lbs now (without me).

    ReplyDelete
  4. yep, that is one reason that the roll bar has stayed in the car. I guess mine isn't all that much heavier than yours with out me in it. I weigh about 145lbs so that puts its at just about 2230ish lbs.

    ReplyDelete