Friday, September 13, 2013

Spoiler for the rear

Well, I was hoping to be able to purchase a nice wing and use it next year but according to the rules for CSP I can only run a spoiler.  There are a few out there that I can run but I am going to try and make something that will be interchangeable.

Current plan is to do some prototyping with plywood to get a good shape and then use that as a pattern for some 1/8" Plexiglas for the final product.  I want to have 2 forms for it, for local events I will run the one that is built to the limits of the CSP rules to make sure I take advantage of any down force it generates at the lower speeds of our events and then have a smaller 2-3" tall version for the higher speed Helena events so that I'm not generating a ton of extra drag and slowing the car down.

The little bit of research I did on it this morning says that I should shoot for a 60 degree angle.  if I can curve the Plexiglas a bit I should be able to avoid having to use any extra bracing which will keep things simple. I think a small piece of C-channel aluminum along the bottom edge of the plexi will allow me to form a shape and make it work.  I have a few ideas on how to mount this to the car with out making a huge mess but I need to go spend some time staring at things at the hardware store and my car to make sure it's actually going to work.

I'll post some pictures as I get things going on it.

2 comments:

  1. Install the wing and come over to the dark side (Super Street Modified).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could do the wing... but if I go SSM it'll have to be after I can get the turbo to go with it >:)

    ReplyDelete