Friday, March 28, 2014

Megasquirt ECU

I spent this afternoon and evening installing and trying to get the new ECU setup and working properly.  The install itself was super simple to complete.  probably took 30min or so and knowing what I know now... I could probably install another one in about 10min.

After getting it installed I fired up the car. IT RUNS!  but... it idles around 2000 RPM and I have not been able to track down the cause of this. We went through the calibration and setting of the base timing that made no real difference.

I have a few things to try once the sun comes back up tomorrow that I hope will answer some questions. if not... I'll be looking to the forums for some assistance.


4 comments:

  1. Found the problem, turns out the butterfly valve in the throttle body had a nice coating of carbon on it. after pulling it off and cleaning it up nicely its running great now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your ECU swap went relatively smoothly. I was fighting with my Megasquirt for almost 2 weeks trying to get it to work at the beginning of last year. I opted for a MS3 built by someone on the MiataTurbo forums and ended up wishing I would've purchased the MS PNP2. In trying to find out what was wrong I ended up spending another $100-ish on new sensors, only to find out that the MS builder didn't have a couple of electronic potentiometers adjusted correctly inside the case. TunerStudio MS (Windows, Mac, Linux) is nice for adjusting settings and auto-tuning the fuel maps (free trial software, $50 for the auto-tune). MSDroid is what I use on my android phone to quick change settings and view electronic gauges.

    Besides using it for tuning purposes, I used TunerStudio to change a few other things. I raised my redline an extra 1000 rpms higher. I also setup a secondary 3500rpm redline for "launch control" to keep from spinning my tires at the start. Don't know if the MS version you're using has it, but I insert an SD memory card into mine and it records everything so that I can analyze it after a day of racing (rpms, mph, coolant temps, etc).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually purchased TunerStudioMS so that I would have full access to everything I can tinker with. I have a few things I need to tweak to get things working just right but its good enough to drive around at this point. there is some hesitation when you first tap the throttle. Otherwise, the power is far more consistent all the way through the rpm range. I'm looking forward to getting it fully tuned.

    The MS PNP does have launch control settings on it as well. I plan on getting that going at some point but there are bigger fish to fry right now.

    ReplyDelete